Wednesday, September 28, 2005


I've Had it With Condoms

No really, I have. Here at AED I catalogue development research, and for the past two weeks I've been documenting very old AIDSCOM reports, whose primary focus has been on how to educate and market contraceptives (read: condoms) in third world countries. From the workplace to the bush; from professionals to street children; from plays to videos to t-shirts and everything in between. I'm an unofficial expert on attitudes, practice, and beliefs concerning this popular (but not in TWC) contraceptive (well, I would have been an expert 15 years ago when the research was still fresh, that is).

I'm not up to date on the current statistics, but I wonder what the success rate is these days of condoms in combatting AIDS and STDs in the developing world. I know that there's a lot of miseducation out there regarding the dangers of sex. I've heard various reports on the effectiveness of abstinence-based programs here in the U.S., but I'm not sure about those in other countries.

Though it's been interesting and encouraging to read about how each well-intentioned project reaches its community by really studying its subjects and providing a sustainable system based on their findings, I still can't believe that the only answer to AIDS is condoms. No matter how you package them (no pun intended)! I of course am dipping into a complex issue here, for the AIDS issue hasn't only to do with sex, but rather with poverty, education, economics, health, etc.


Anyone who has more current ideas or information on this issue, please give a shout out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home