Sunday, May 14, 2006

Chipmunk Cheeks




Several months ago I had my first dentist appointment in Arlington, and learned from Dr. Belt that I would need to have my wisdom teeth pulled. Thinking I had a bit of time to play with, I was disappointed when the oral surgeon gave me 2 months to get it done. So, rather than delaying the inevitable, I had the deed done this past Friday. I wasn't nervous until I actually got in there and they strapped me down (an interesting fact I would repeat to Paul about 3 times after the surgery, forgetting each time that I'd told him...), but only mildly then. That anesthetic was pretty wild, though...about as close to a drug trip I'll ever come.

If you can get past your gums bleeding, the drooling (which, as many of you can attest, is not a new thing for me!), and the drowsiness from the prescriptions, it wasn't so bad. Probably the most humorous part of it is looking like you've fought the good fight (or have stuffed your cheeks with marshmallows reminiscent of the game "Chubby Bunny")...

It may not look like my face has changed all that much (it looks worse today), but it feels like this...

Luckily, I have the sweetest most attentive nurse right here to make me mac 'n' cheese, bring me ice cream sundaes, and help me laugh at myself. Thank you, Paulie!