Thursday, September 29, 2005

Last Day

Well, tomorrow is the last day at AED. The project hasn't gone according to plan so they've given me the boot (as in, they don't have enough work for me to do). It's a bit of a shock since I thought I'd have this job until December...looks like it's back to "waiting for the call."

In all regards, doing temp. work isn't bad at all. It's just that I got used to my routine and enjoyed coming here. And it's silly that I should feel this anxious about a little uncertainty, but I do. I feel so...helpless here. I've never had to live this much from day to day, which isn't a bad thing, but it feels funny.

And I don't like to feel funny.

I had a hard time on the train this morning. One of my voices (the loudest one) kept making comments that started out like this "You know, if we were still in Chicago...". Dangerous. I miss my dear sweet Chicago badly. But if not kept in check, I have a tendency to over-glorify it, and demonize D.C.

But loneliness recognizes only familiar alliances.

2 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aubrey, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know it wasn't the greatest job in the world, but it was regular. Just keep taking one step at a time; something new will come along. And keep blogging!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger lucretius said...

Well, you know, it's only American to hate on D.C. I mean seriously (by which I mean, insincerely), "inside the beltway," is just slang for, "wickedly corrupt."

Making that kind of transition is ponderously difficult. It took at least two years for Janna and I to feel like we had any real friends here, and that was mostly due to Janna's efforts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home