Monday, October 03, 2005


Just Faith

In a few minutes, I will drive to St. Charles parish for JustFaith. Just Faith is a nation-wide small group started through Catholic Charities. It attempts to educate laypersons on the Catholic social justice teachings (which, sadly, many Catholics are unaware of). Father Creedon gave me something to think about when he said this: "We wouldn't dare not to have professionals in the positions of liturgical and educational ministry in our parishes...why is it then that we don't have professional social ministry people?

This weekend we had our first retreat, which was designed to help us get to know each other. In my desire to meet people (especially fellow members of the body), this was an indespensable experience that I almost missed. When facilitators and members of my first group jumped ship after the 3rd week, I almost considered doing the same, even when invited into the 2nd group. I was so discouraged that I thought of quitting. But, as God often does, he nudged me into obedience even though the outcome was uncertain. It may seem like a small thing, but the fact that I went and met a group of warm and loving Christians who are excited and humble about learning how they can more effectively serve Jesus is, to me, no small thing at all.

It was a comfort, this weekend, to learn that there are others out there, older, with jobs, with degrees, with families, with talents, that wonder about the direction of life as much as I do. That aren't satisfied with how they're representing Christ. That want to be more and are stuck.

It was a comfort to know I'm not alone here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home